Halibut is a great lowfat fish choice. It can be found in both steaks and fillets and can be used in many ways, such as poaching, frying, oven baking and grilling. The flesh cooks up to provide nice white large flakes perfect for salads.
This fish is low in saturated fat and high in protein making it a great healthy choice entree item for dinner. Here halibut is cooked with sauteed onions and peppers with green chilies for an easily prepared meal.
- 6 4-oz. pieces of fresh halibut fillets
- 2 whole limes, halved
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, cut into slices lengthwise
- 1 can (aprox.) 14-oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh yellow bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp canned green chillies
- Take the fresh halibut fillets and pick out any bones remaining, if necessary. Place the fillets on a large baking dish or casserole in an even layer. Take two halves of the limes and squeeze evenly over the tops. Turn the halibut fillets over to coat them all with the lime juice. Reserve until ready to cook.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a rondeau or other large shallow pan with lid. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add in the red and yellow sliced peppers and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes and green chilies.
- Take the halibut fillets and place presentation side down (the side that looks better if there is one) over the tomato and pepper mixture in the rondeau, spooning the pepper mixture over each filet to make sure it is covered or touching the pepper and tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium low and cover.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and carefully turn the fillets over. Cook uncovered for another 4 to 7 minutes, depending on thickness and degree of heat, until the center of each filet is firm and no longer translucent, and flakes easily.
- Remove dish from heat and carefully remove the halibut fillets from the sauce.
Squeeze the remaining limes into the sauce and stire. Season if necessary with salt and black pepper. Serve the pepper and tomato sauce with the fillets. If the remaining sauce has a large amount of liquid place back on the stove and turn the heat up to high. Let boil for a couple of minutes to reduce some of the liquid to the desired consistency, then serve with the halibut fillets.